We have heard it all before, “regular exercise is good for you.” But if you are like many other individuals, you are busy, you have a job, and haven’t prioritized your health. The good news is that it’s never too late to start. Regular exercise is a big part of a healthy lifestyle and you should commit to it for a longer life. Need some more motivation to get moving, here are some reasons to exercise daily:
5 Benefits to Exercising Regularly
1. Increases Your Energy Levels
Exercising can be a real energy booster, even for those with medical issues. A study showed that with 6 weeks of regular exercise it reduced feelings of fatigue for 36 people who had reported persistent fatigue. Say goodbye to the coffee in the morning and hello to a trip to the gym!
2. Good For Muscles & Bones
Exercise plays a crucial role in building and maintaining our strong bones and muscles. Did you know activities like weightlifting stimulate muscle building when paired with adequate protein intake? When you exercise, it helps release hormones that increase the ability your muscles heave to absorb amino acids. It also helps grow them and reduce the risk of breaking them down.
It is especially important to continue to exercise as you age, because it will help reduce muscle loss and help you maintain your strength.
3. Natural High & Better Mood
You might have heard of the “runner’s high” but did you know that exercise in general will give you that natural high and increase the serotonin in your body? It’s been shown that exercising improves mood and decreases symptoms of depression, anxiety, and stress. Exercising regularly helps change the parts of your brain that regulate stress and anxiety. Fun fact: It doesn’t matter how intense your workouts are, your mood can benefit from exercise no matter the intensity.
4. Help With Brain Health & Memory
Exercise improves brain function and memory. How does it work? When you exercise it increases your heart rate, which brings more blood and oxygen to your brain. It also stimulates more hormones to be released that enhances growth of brain cells. Exercise improves your memory both directly and indirectly. Directly, it acts on the body by stimulating physiological changes. For example, reducing insulin resistance/inflammation, and encouraging production of growth factors. Indirectly, it affects your memory by improving mood, sleep, and stress levels.
5. Improves Sleep
Majority of people feel like they can never get enough sleep. What if we told you that hitting the gym or going for a run improves your quality and amount of sleep? In the most obvious way, exercising tires out your muscles and causes you to become sleepier. Physical activity increases your sleep activity or sleep drive. When you exercise, it increases the amount of slow waves in your body. These slow waves are what help you get to R.E.M state sooner and for longer.
How Can I Make Exercise A Part of My Daily Routine?
- Make everyday activities more active. This can be taking the stairs instead of the elevator. Walking down the hall to a coworker’s office instead of an email or text. Parking farther away from your destination. Or going to the grocery store instead of pick-up. Even small changes like these can help.
- Find a gym/workout buddy. Having a workout partner is going to hold you accountable and make you more likely to enjoy exercising. You can even join an exercise group or class like a dance class, yoga, or co-ed sports team.
- Find activities you will want to do. If you find activities and exercises you like to do, you are more likely to do them when motivation is low. For the exercises you don’t like doing, try listening to your favorite playlist to make it a little more fun.
- Stop yourself from making excuses. You are the only thing standing in the way of your own growth and healthy lifestyle. Challenge your way of thinking if you find yourself making a lot of excuses why you can’t exercise. You have to find that inner motivation.
Who knew hitting the gym, going on a run, or joining a workout class could have so many benefits? If you are someone who prefers to exercise at home, check out SP booty bands and SP resistance bands to take your home gym to the next level! Get out there and get moving today!